Friary House Surgery is no longer carrying out ear syringing procedures.
The recommended treatment for excessive ear wax is now:
- Tilt your head, or lie on one side and apply a few drops of olive oil (warm if possible) inside the ears.
- Remain on your side for 10 minutes to ensure the oil is absorbed by the wax
- If bilateral ears require irrigation then repeat on other side.
- Do not add cotton wool to ‘prevent the oil running out’ as this will instead absorb the oil and the wax will remain hard.
- Do not use cotton buds to aid removal of wax—these can be very dangerous.
- Repeat this process 3 times a day, for 14 days depending on degree of wax.
- Repeat the above procedure using sodium bicarbonate ear drops (available from pharmacies) for 14 days.
- Repeat using the olive oil for 14 days.